Swimming lessons!
We had played in the pool with Jace and Jillian before but they had never been in swimming lessons that were official. It was a little overwhelming tackling swimming lessons with just Mommy (getting three wet kids into dry clothes and keeping the dry ones dry and safe is a work out) but the guilt about Jace and Jillian getting lessons outweighed the fear of taking three kids to the pool by myself. So I signed everybody up and went for it. I put Jillian in the very beginning class because she enjoyed playing with her family in the pool but never really enjoyed the water. Jace I put in the class just above Jillian because I thought he wasn't a true beginner and Colton advanced to a class that they started teaching strokes in, and they really had to work at swimming lessons.
The first day was an adventure. Colton was a little intimidated by his teacher. I know you shouldn't judge a book by the cover but she looked like the witch in snow white... (he was spot on in celebrity look alike.) Jace was wet and in the deep end before I could put my bag down and Jillian was glued to my thigh. So I started with Jace. His teacher was sweet and very complimentary. She had her work cut out for her keeping him on the steps and out of the water for instruction. He loved it and had a blast. Colton, although nervous, got in and got out. He did what he needed to do for class and kept a safe distance from the teacher. Jillian put her foot in and by the end of class had progressed to the step. As I was watching I was in awe of how independent and different my kids really are. I know that "kids are different" but sometimes when some of them share a womb you anticipate that they might have some similarities... but nope. I watched Jace jump off the edge into the water at least 20 times on one end of the pool. On the other end I watched Jillian use all the courage she could muster to sit on the step. Then in the middle I saw Colton cautiously doing what was necessary. In the end I was very proud of all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment